So for the longest time I thought I hated curry, because I tasted it once at an Indian restaurant and thought it was gross. Last year I went to this Vegan Thai restaurant in Los Angeles called Bodhi Thai and the Red curry was highly recommended. I nervously ordered it, but instantly became obsessed. It’s sweet and spicy, and has this yum coconut flavor. I love coconut!
It tasted nothing like the curry I remembered. Thai curry is a coconut milk based sauce. Its seasoned with kaffir lime leaves, lemon grass, basil, chili peppers, garlic ginger, soy/fish sauce ect… Indian curry is a yogurt based sauce and spiced with Indian spices such as turmeric, cardamom, cumin, black and yellow mustard seeds, fenugreek, asafetida, ginger, garlic ect…
I would definitely try Indian curry again, because I believe that even the worst foods can be good if they are cooked right and paired well. You can get parve coconut milk and substitute the tofu for chicken or fish. This dish is very filling and super healthy. The next day I used the leftover sauce as a dressing for salad. It was very different from what we usually have, but I really enjoyed it.
THAI RED CURRY SOUP
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1/4 cup red peppers thinly sliced
- 1 stalk lemon grass halved
- 1/3 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 14 oz firm tofu
- 3-4 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups of either vegetable broth/chicken broth/water
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 cup chopped Napa cabbage
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup cilantro and or basil finely chopped
- Side of Brown or white rice
- Heat coconut oil in a soup pot over medium high heat. Add garlic, scallions, red peppers, mushrooms and saute.
- Cut lemongrass in half lengthwise, and bang it a few time with the back of a knife to release its flavors. Add to the pot.
- Drain the tofu and cut it into bite sized squares. Add it to the pot and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Add red curry paste and stir for about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the coconut milk and broth.
- Add the green beans, cabbage, brown sugar and soy sauce. Cook for about 7-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and right before serving add cilantro and or basil.
- Serve hot over brown or white rice.